Messi, Ronaldo go on goal sprees before Copa clash
Defender Alejandro Arribas received his second booking for blocking Adriano's strike with his arm, leaving his team with 10 men and Messi walking up to the penalty spot. Messi slotted the ball just inside the post to restore Barcelona's lead for good in the 27th.
The penalty was Messi's 200th career Spanish league goal, making him the eighth player to reach that mark and the youngest ever by four years at 25 years old.
After Messi had hit the post with a header, Pedro Rodriguez finished off a pass from Dani Alves to make it 3-1 in the 40th from another move started by Xavi.
David Villa then participated in Messi's goals in the 56th and 58th, first working a one-two combination with the four-time world player of the year for him to score from an angle. Villa then made a back pass that Adriano sent on to Messi, who tapped in his fourth goal of the night.
Earlier, Sergio Ramos scored Madrid's first goal in the 53rd minute after fellow defender Ricardo Carvalho forced goalkeeper Miguel Moya to fumble the ball by hitting his arms in an apparent foul that went unpunished.
"It was clearly a foul," Getafe coach Luis Garcia said. "It's a pity. When you are losing you have to push forward, and that's what let them get out on the break. Madrid is the best team in the world on the counterattack."
Ahead 1-0, Madrid didn't look back.
Ronaldo finished off a counterattack from its own area in the 62nd, running onto Mesut Oezil's pass and firing the ball beyond Moya.
Three minutes later, Ronaldo made it 3-0 as he charged in unmarked behind Gonzalo Higuain to head home Di Maria's floated cross at the far post. He then dispatched a penalty kick into the lower left corner in the 72nd after Alberto Lopo fouled Luka Modric in the box.
"I'm satisfied with (my hat trick), but my task is to keep it up and give my all for this club," said Ronaldo. "I want to surpass my own personal record from last season."
The Portugal forward, rarely substituted, was taken off seconds later to the applause of the Santiago Bernabeu crowd.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister