Messi, Ronaldo reload on road in Spanish league
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Days after failing to score in a head-to-head matchup, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will look to rediscover their attacking form when Barcelona visits Valencia and Real Madrid travels to Granada in the Spanish league.
Messi will aim to extend his record run of scoring in 11 straight league matches when Barcelona travels to Mestalla Stadium on Sunday with an 11-point lead in the standings.
Granada welcomes Madrid the day before in the debut of coach Lucas Alcaraz, who replaced Juan Anquela on Wednesday with the team hovering two points above the relegation zone.
Second-place Atletico Madrid hosts fifth-place Real Betis on Sunday with a perfect home record at Vicente Calderon Stadium through 19 games in all competitions.
Barcelona drew 1-1 at Madrid in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semifinals on Wednesday, with neither Messi nor Ronaldo scoring. At least one of the two stars had scored in the previous six clasico matches dating to 2011.
Barcelona squandered several chances to take a commanding lead in the tie. Messi saw his run of scoring in 16 straight starts come to an end, but he did manage to set up Cesc Fabregas for the opener.
Messi leads the Spanish league with 33 goals through 21 rounds after netting four times last weekend against Osasuna.
"We are a little frustrated because we could have scored more goals (against Madrid)," said Barcelona defender Jordi Alba, who is returning to Valencia for the first time since joining Barcelona last offseason.
"I am very excited about going back to Mestalla. Valencia was the club that gave me the opportunity to debut in the first division and to be the player I am today."
Valencia is in seventh place, with four wins in its last five league games under new coach Ernesto Valverde.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad