Metta World Peace is a fan of OKC Thunder coach Scott Brooks
The Lakers forward also says ‘I didn't realize Oklahoma had so many fine women.'
Thunder archenemy Metta World Peace is a fan of Thunder coach Scott Brooks. So much so, said the player formerly known as Ron Artest, that he politicked for Brooks to take over the Sacramento Kings in 2007.
Videoview all videos
May 15Berry Tramel and John Rohde report from Thunder and...
May 15The Lakers forward talks with Berry Tramel about how...
Photoview all 61 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
World Peace played for, and Brooks was an assistant coach for, the 2006-07 Kings. And World Peace said Brooks was a factor in the Thunder's Game 1 rout of the Lakers on Monday night in the Western Conference semifinals.
“I played for Scotty Brooks,” World Peace said. “A lot of people don't understand, when you play against a team, you're also playing against a coach.
“When Scotty Brooks was in Sacramento and the coach (Eric Musselman) got fired, I asked the general manager to hire Scotty Brooks as the head coach, because I knew what type of coach he was.”
World Peace, who has a history of good defense against Thunder star Kevin Durant, said Durant's 25 points on 8-of-16 shooting was more than just a good game from Durant.
“Durant has a great gameplan over there on the offensive end,” World Peace said. “And his teammates are setting great screens. They're doing a really great job as a team. That's why I'm not as concerned with the numbers he's getting. It's more about what the team is doing.”
Game 1 was World Peace's second game since serving a seven-game suspension for elbowing the Thunder's James Harden in the head. The Oklahoma City crowd heartily booed World Peace throughout the night, but he had good things to say about the Thunder faithful.
“Great fans, because they support their team,” World Peace said. “They took in a team that needed shelter (the Hornets, six seasons ago). So no matter what, you can always say great things about these fans.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit