Microsoft and Huawei launch phone for Africa
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Chinese phone maker Huawei and Microsoft are combining forces to sell a new smartphone in Africa, which they say is the world's fastest growing mobile phone market.
The two companies launched the Huawei 4Afrika Tuesday. The phone runs Windows Phone 8 and comes pre-loaded with applications designed for the African market.
According to the GSM Association, Africa is the world's second largest mobile market by connections after Asia, and the fastest growing mobile market in the world.
The phone will initially be available in Angola, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria and South Africa later this month.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction