Midwest City officer cleared after shooting suspect armed with machete
District Attorney David Prater has cleared a Midwest City police officer after he shot and killed a suspect Dec. 3 when the man charged at him holding a machete and a pellet rifle. Midwest City police released a video Friday showing the incident.
Videoview all videos
Dec 14District Attorney David Prater has cleared a Midwest City...
Photoview all photos
“I think he's out of his mind,” the woman said. “Someone needs to come pick him up.”
The video from the dashboard of Zuniga's patrol car shows him arriving on the scene and checking the side of the house, shining his flashlight.
A short time later, Zuniga can be seen backing toward the street with his gun drawn before firing three shots with his .40-caliber Glock pistol. Scott, who was hit twice, falls forward, rolling to Zuniga's feet.
“He was holding the machete in his right hand raised above his head and he had the rifle in his left hand under his armpit with his hand on the trigger,” Clabes said. “We never want to use our firearms. But obviously, as you can see from the video, officer Zuniga had no choice.”
Scott was convicted on a felony charge of concealing stolen property in 2004 in Oklahoma County, the Oklahoma Supreme Court Network website shows.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater