Midwest City police captain explains how to tell if person is high on drugs
Midwest City police Capt. David Huff spoke to a group of Oklahoma Department of Human Services employees about how to identify drugs and what to do if they come across someone who is under the influence of drugs.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Huff said one of the quickest ways to tell whether someone is under the influence of drugs is to look into their eyes.
If someone's pupils are dilated, or much larger than normal, then they might have used LSD or MDMA, also known as ecstasy.
Meanwhile, if a person's pupils are constricted, or much smaller than normal, he or she might have taken narcotic analgesics.
The eyes are important to drug recognition experts like Huff because they provide details that a person can't hide. If a person is an addict, he or she might be able to hide some of the physical effects of being high.
“The things we look for in the eyes, they can't be faked,” Huff said. “It's going to happen regardless of whether they want it to or not. People can't control their eyes and say, ‘Do not dilate.'”
Huff said it is best not to directly confront someone suspected of taking drugs.
“If you do see something that looks like a meth lab, and you confront them, the next thing that may come out is a gun,” he said. “Please, please just back out and call us.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena