Midwest City's Carlos Freeman loves the challenge of the offensive line
Super 30 — Freeman, who has offers from Utah State and Dartmouth so far, looking to improve after knee surgery.
MIDWEST CITY — If you surveyed high school linemen, many of them would tell you they prefer defense, because it's more fun.
Carlos Freeman, Midwest City's 6-foot-3, 295-pound senior, would agree that the defensive line is more fun — but that's exactly why he prefers offense.
The Oklahoman's Super 30
Name: Carlos Freeman
School: Midwest City
Position: Offensive line
Offers: Utah State and Dartmouth, with interest from Missouri, Tulsa, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Iowa State and New Mexico.
“Defense is more fun, but offense is a lot harder,” he said. “It's more of a challenge, and there's always something new. There's always a different guy to block. Maybe he's bigger or smaller or faster or better than me. Defense gets old for me, but offense never gets old.”
Freeman, No. 14 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 list, will face plenty of challenges as the left tackle for the Bombers, and college will present even more. He has scholarship offers from Utah State and Dartmouth so far, with interest from programs like Missouri, Iowa State, Tulsa and Arkansas State, among others.
But most college coaches project him as an interior lineman.
“I want to be our left tackle this season. Our quarterback, Joel Davis, has been my friend since kindergarten, and I want to do my best to protect him so he doesn't get hit from the backside,” Freeman said. “But colleges see me as a center or guard. They tell me I move pretty well, which is important. I've been working on my snaps a lot, because that's something that you have to practice.”
Freeman gets extra practice on snaps as the center for Midwest City's 7-on-7 team, which will be competing in the Red Bull Game Breakers national finals Thursday and Friday in Dallas.
The timing of the event was perfect for Freeman, who will stay in the DFW area an extra day to attend a lineman camp at TCU. He also has camps coming up at Arkansas State and either Iowa State or Kansas State in the next few weeks.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister