Mike Gundy made a bold — and strong — move with Dana Holgorsen
Oklahoma State coach calls his decision to hire Holgorsen 'one of the best coaching moves in the country'
Mike Gundy's rise among the nation's top coaches — and that's a tag backed up by the numbers, most notably a stair-stepping annual win tally — in hindsight features many interesting moves and decisions.
From his strict stance on discipline, which began with a program cleansing in his first year; to a shift in offensive philosophy; to his theory that better beds and better meals brings better players; to his recent move toward shorter and softer practices; Gundy has thought and operated outside the box.
And the results could hardly be better.
Yet for Gundy, of all his edgy approaches, one in particular stands out.
“When I look back at decisions that I've made, and there were some that were wrong, but one of the best coaching moves in the country was to hire Dana Holgorsen,” Gundy said of the spread-offense renegade. “And the reason why is Brandon Weeden couldn't run, which is the system we had before. So we took a chance.”
Again, Gundy rolled the dice and came up 7s.
Holgorsen was always a Stillwater short-timer, bent on climbing to a head coaching gig. And he never hid those desires, bunking in a local hotel rather than wasting time or money in a home.
Still, Holgorsen's imprint on the program remains.
The Cowboys stand committed to his version of the spread, evident in a full-bore recruiting pursuit of wideouts and quick-trigger quarterbacks.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister