Mike Thompson endorses James Lankford in 5th Dist. race
State Rep. Mike Thompson has endorsed his Republican primary opponent James Lankford in the Aug. 24 runoff election for the 5th District U.S. House seat.
Thompson made the endorsement Friday on his Facebook page, saying he believes "James Lankford is the transformative leader we need."
Thompson finished third in the seven-man GOP primary. He was one of the early favorites and raised nearly $1 million.
But Lankford, the former director of the Falls Creek Christian summer camp, relied heavily on social media to target evangelicals and had endorsements from former U.S. Rep. J.C. Watts and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
Former state Rep. Kevin Calvey will face Lankford to determine the Republican nominee in the race to replace outgoing U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin, who is running for governor.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims