Millwood's Kevonte Richardson grows as a quarterback
Falcons senior has thrown for 1,071 yards and 16 touchdowns in five games.
With all the uniquely gifted players surrounding Kevonte Richardson in the Millwood offense, it might seem like the quarterback is nothing more than a facilitator. Just get the ball to one of the Falcons' half-dozen playmakers and watch them do something special, right?
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Not even close. In fact, it's hard to argue that any Millwood player has been more important to the team's explosive 5-0 start than Richardson, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound senior who was viewed in the offseason as a college talent at receiver or safety.
Now, after throwing for 1,071 yards with 16 touchdowns and just one interception through five games, Richardson is giving himself a better chance of being a college QB.
"He's definitely going to get more looks at quarterback, and deservedly so," Millwood offensive coordinator Kevin Cox said. "He's always made good reads, but he wasn't making them as quickly as he is now.
"The more people see how he's placing the ball and how he's getting through his reads, it's going to pick up."
Richardson already has offers on the table from Missouri, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Tulsa, UNLV, Utah State and Louisiana Tech, several of which are looking at him as a quarterback. New Mexico has been impressed by his start to the season as a QB and could make an offer soon.
The Falcons are putting up nearly 48 points per game against some pretty stout defenses, primarily Class 4A opponents Douglass and McGuinness. But with Richardson in the zone, the Falcon offense is running as smooth as ever.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort