Mistakes doom Virginia in 27-7 loss at No. 17 TCU
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — The deep pass was thrown right to Virginia leading receiver Darius Jennings, bouncing off his facemask for an incompletion near midfield early in the game.
Then after halftime, Jennings appeared to have a catch near the goal-line before a jarring hit by TCU' safety Chris Hackett knocked the ball loose for another incompletion.
Add in four turnovers and the Cavaliers were left with a 27-7 loss Saturday at the 17th-ranked Horned Frogs, who won their 11th consecutive game to extended FBS's longest winning streak.
"We drove the ball, had a lot of opportunities," quarterback Michael Rocco said. "But we kind of stubbed our toe on our own doing."
Brandon Carter had a 68-yard touchdown on one of his two one-handed catches and linebacker Kenny Cain recovered a fumble along with two interceptions for the Horned Frogs (3-0).
Casey Pachall threw for 305 yards with three touchdowns and his first interception of the season.
Pachall got a lot of help from Carter on the score that capped TCU's opening 94-yard drive after a punt by the Cavaliers (2-2) that Anthony Harris slapped back from the goal-line to prevent a touchback.
Carter was behind safety Brandon Phelps near midfield when he snared a pass with one hand, then sprinted untouched to the end zone.
"I thought I put it a little high, but they have 6-7, 6-6 and 6-5 linemen who jump whenever you throw the ball," Pachall said. "I thought I got it over his head, but he made a great play. It's not that I expect it, but when it happens, it doesn't wow me because I've seen him do it numerous times, especially in practice."
Josh Boyce had his TCU-record 18th career touchdown catch. Freshman Jaden Oberkrom had field goals of 46 and 47 yards, the longer kick coming after Cain's 40-yard return on the second interception.
Cain is the first TCU linebacker with two interceptions in a game since Chad Bayer on Nov. 20, 1999, the same day LaDainian Tomlinson set an NCAA record with 406 yards rushing for the Frogs against UTEP.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister