MLB Draft: Miami Marlins select OSU pitcher Andrew Heaney in first round
The draft's ninth overall pick, Heaney said he is “just so happy, words can't explain it.”
Last year's ninth overall pick, Javier Baez, was given a $2.66 million signing bonus from the Chicago Cubs.
“Andrew has a legitimate three-pitch mix,” MLB Network analyst John Hart said. “Can command both sides of the plate and is a tremendous competitor.”
The consensus on the draft show was that Heaney could be a quick riser, using his polished stuff to rapidly rise through the minor league ranks.
Reynolds even threw out the idea of the Marlins rushing him in the next couple years, utilizing him out of the bullpen as a matchup lefty.
“I follow (the NL East),” Heaney said. “I watch it and all those teams are playing very well right now. Hopefully I'll be up there soon and helping those guys out.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers