Share “Mocs kept playing despite Sooner blowout”

Mocs kept playing despite Sooner blowout

By John Helsley Modified: August 31, 2008 at 10:52 am •  Published: August 31, 2008
NORMAN – All but a few fans remained sheltered from a halftime lightning and rain storm.

Same for the Sooners, who were waiting things out in their locker room.

Yet there were the Mocs from Chattanooga, first on the field, flinging footballs and loosening up for the final two quarters.

Still up to the task.

No matter that they were already sunk, down 50-0 with one first down and 10 total yards.

They came to play – not just for the $475,000 payout – but to give it a go and to savor the experience.

“If you've been around our kids as long as we have, we've got a bunch of fighters,” said Chattanooga coach Rodney Allison. “To line up against that team, a pretty nice trait of ours is that our players have always played to the end and come back and played hard throughout the game.

“From that standpoint, I was pleased.”

While thunder and lightning sent the crowd scrambling for shelter. The teams huddled in their locker rooms, waiting for play to resume. Between the last snap of the first half and the first of the third quarter, 85 minutes passed.

The Sooners stretched several times in their locker room, trying to stay loose.

The Mocs did their stretching on the field, as the first ones out.

“We didn't really know what was going on,” Allison said. “We were just sitting there, trying to get information, because I've never been in that situation before. Slideshow: OU vs Chattanooga

Continue reading this story on the...


  1. 1
    They took a 365-day honeymoon around the world
  2. 2
    PHOTOS: Charlotte-area couple's proposal goes awry
  3. 3
    Suspected car thief ends high-speed car chase with a quick dance party [VIDEO]
  4. 4
    Two sisters to be raped after their brother ran off with a married woman
  5. 5
    2 Dead, 5 Injured in Hazmat Situation in Suburban Home
+ show more


× Trending ou Article