Monaco advances in Malaysia; Dolgopolov, Lopez out
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Juan Monaco of Argentina reached the quarterfinals in his Malaysian Open debut but fellow seeds Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine and Feliciano Lopez of Spain lost on Thursday.
Second-seeded Monaco defeated Taiwanese wild card Jimmy Wang 6-4, 7-5. The Argentine responded to losing his serve three times by breaking Wang five times.
Fourth-seeded Dolgopolov lost to Alejandro Falla of Colombia 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
"I started really bad and missed a lot of balls," Dolgopolov said. "I came back in the second set, but it was an up and down match."
Falla will face Julien Benneteau of France.
Dutchman Igor Sijsling upset No. 5 Lopez, 7-6 (0), 7-6 (2). They played impeccably on serve with 11 aces each and no break points conceded, but Lopez struggles in both tiebreaks.
Kei Nishikori of Japan rallied past Albert Ramos of Spain 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-1. On Friday, the third-seeded Nishikori will play Nikolay Davydenko, whom he beat in the London Games.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims