NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and five offensive players met with reporters following Monday’s practice. Here are a few interesting tidbits from the session with Stoops:
* I opened things up with Stoops by asking if he had a quarterback yet.
“Nope,” Stoops responded. “What else you got?”
* Stoops said he wants to see a few more practices before announcing his choice of either junior Blake Bell or redshirt freshman Trevor Knight. He said last week on ESPN’s SportsCenter that he hoped to have a starter named by the end of this week.
“Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,” Stoops said. “When we’re ready, we’ll say so.”
* Stoops said he’d be more prepared tomorrow afternoon to talk about freshmen who he expects to play immediately.
* Stoops said he was “very impressed” with new defensive tackle Quincy Russell. Russell hasn’t been able to get into pads yet due to NCAA rules, but can start putting pads on tomorrow.
“I don’t think there’s any question he’ll be ready to play by the first game,” Stoops said.
* Stoops said sophomore wide receiver Trey Metoyer, who had missed a few practices with an ankle injury, is back at work and “made a couple of nice plays” during Monday’s practice.