Montpellier draws 1-1 at home to Saint-Etienne
PARIS (AP) — French champion Montpellier needed a second-half equalizer from striker Souleymane Camara to salvage a 1-1 draw at home to Saint-Etienne on Friday.
Montpellier, which lost 2-1 to Arsenal in the Champions League on Tuesday, has won only once in the league and is languishing down in 14th place ahead of the weekend action, with just five points from six games.
Camara spared his team another defeat when he converted a pass from winger Remy Cabella in the 70th minute, moments after blazing a great chance over the crossbar.
"We started the first half poorly," Montpellier goalkeeper Geoffrey Jourdren said. "I've said this several times now, but we will have to react. We're trying to fight back, but for the time being it's not happening for us."
Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang gave the visitors the lead on the stroke of halftime when he turned in Max-Alain Gradel's cross to the back post. Aubameyang had hit the post a minute before.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit