More quakes rattle central Oklahoma Monday
An earthquake was reported in the Meeker area Monday. The quake was Monday morning. Another one was felt Monday night.
Damage reports continued coming in Monday from the Saturday night earthquake that rattled the state.
Videoview all videos
Nov 7Damage done by earthquakes that occurred in Oklahoma City...
Photoview all 35 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Two aftershocks were reported Monday by the U.S. Geological Survey, a 2.8-magnitude earthquake about 7:50 a.m. just east of Meeker, and a 4.7-magnitude quake about 8:47 p.m. five miles northwest of Prague.
The reports followed a 5.6 earthquake Saturday night, the strongest in the state's history, and a series of smaller aftershocks Sunday.
Joey Wakefield, Lincoln County Emergency Management director, said he saw 13 damaged homes in Lincoln County on Sunday and he took calls from nine more people Monday.
Damage reports included broken water lines, cracked wallboard and bricks that have fallen off houses.
State officials said they finished inspecting highways and bridges about midnight Monday and found only one significant area of damage, a small section of State Highway 62 in Lincoln County east of Meeker that buckled after Saturday's earthquake.
Experts with the U.S. Geological Survey said there is no reason to expect seismic activity will stop abruptly. Central Oklahoma has seen a huge increase in smaller earthquakes in recent years, and that activity has only increased of late with Saturday's larger quake.
Bryan Dean and Robert Medley,
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister