• Payne County sheriff to replace Stanely Glanz on OSBI governing board

    BY PAIGHTEN HARKINS, Tulsa World | Published: Wed, Oct 21, 2015

    Gov. Mary Fallin has appointed the Payne County sheriff to replace Tulsa County Sheriff Stanley Glanz on the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation Commission. R.B. Hauf will begin his interim term immediately to fulfill Glanz's unexpired term, which ends July 1. Glanz recently resigned from the OSBI Commission, according to a Governor's Office news release. The commission serves as the OSBI's governing body.

  • Study: Quakes linked to injection well activity dating back to 1920s

    BY CURTIS KILLMAN, Tulsa World | Published: Wed, Oct 21, 2015

    A new study by the U.S. Geological Survey links injection well activity to most of the strong earthquakes in Oklahoma occurring not only in recent years, but throughout the 20th century. The study, released Tuesday, found that strong statistical evidence points to wastewater injection well activity as the cause of most Oklahoma earthquakes with a magnitude of 3.5 and greater. The evidence indicates there is a less than 1 percent chance that the correspondence between earthquakes 3.5 magnitude and greater occurring in the same area as injection well activity were random events, said Susan Hough, a USGS seismologist who was a co-author of the study along with colleague Morgan Page.

  • Third suspect in Bristow motel double homicide arrested in Tulsa

    BY PAIGHTEN HARKINS, Tulsa World | Published: Tue, Oct 20, 2015

    A third person was arrested Monday in the slayings of two people at a Bristow motel in March. Wilbert Tyron Moore, 33, was arrested at his apartment in the 1100 block of North Harvard Avenue in Tulsa on a complaint of first-degree murder. Northern Oklahoma Violent Crimes Task Force officers served a warrant for his arrest, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation stated in a new release. Moore was booked into the Tulsa Jail around 5:30 p.m. Monday and was transferred to the Creek County Jail later, according to the release.

  • Jury recommends life sentence for Tulsa woman in murder, kidnapping case

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Mon, Oct 19, 2015

    A Tulsa County jury recommended a life sentence for a second defendant convicted in a 2013 kidnapping and murder case. After three hours of deliberating, jurors returned a guilty verdict about 10 p.m. Friday for 31-year-old Angel Marie Proctor and recommended a life sentence for first-degree felony murder in the kidnapping and death of 34-year-old Quinton Shaver. Jurors also convicted Proctor of kidnapping Shaver and two women and assaulting the women in a house near Pine Street and Peoria Avenue on Nov. 9 and 10 in 2013.

  • Law firm's pro bono work completed, saves Tulsa millions after police corruption

    BY JARREL WADE, Tulsa World | Published: Mon, Oct 19, 2015

    Some feared the city of Tulsa was facing a lawsuit “tsunami” following a police corruption scandal that finally subsided this month, the lead attorney that fended for Tulsa said. “There was a point where we were litigating 10 separate cases at the same time,” said Guy Fortney, attorney and partner at Brewster & DeAngelis Law Offices. “That swamped my time and another attorney.” But the tidal wave never made landfall, in part due to the efforts of Fortney and the Brewster & DeAngelis law firm that deterred some lawsuits from ever being filed.

  • New trial date set for defendant in Tulsa quadruple-murder case

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Mon, Oct 19, 2015

    A judge set a new trial date Monday for one of two brothers charged in a quadruple homicide case after last week’s revelation that investigators had  failed to turn over a significant amount of evidence  caused his trial to be postponed. James Poore, 34, who’s charged along with his 41-year-old brother Cedric Poore in the murders of four women in an apartment in January 2013, is now scheduled for trial Feb. 29. Cedric Poore is scheduled for trial Feb. 1. James Poore’s trial was supposed to start Monday but was postponed after prosecutors realized they hadn’t received certain evidence from the Tulsa police detective who handled initial investigations in the case.

  • Oklahoma State University names homecoming royalty candidates

    From Staff Reports | Published: Sat, Oct 17, 2015

    Oklahoma State University's homecoming king and queen will be crowned during halftime of the Oct. 24 football game.

  • Missionary doctor who was nearly killed by ebola to speak in Tulsa

    BY BILL SHERMAN, Tulsa World | Published: Fri, Oct 16, 2015

    Missionary doctor Kent Brantly thought he was going to die last summer as the deadly Ebola virus ravaged his body while he lay in isolation in Monrovia, Liberia, in west Africa. And he had good reason to think so: Only one of the dozens of Ebola victims under his care in recent weeks had survived. Brantly will tell his story in Tulsa next weekend.

  • Trial postponed in Tulsa after discovery of withheld evidence

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Fri, Oct 16, 2015

    The revelation that thousands of pages of evidence were not turned over by a police detective will delay the trial of James Poore. District Judge Kurt Glassco said he no choice but to postpone the trial after being informed that four binders of documents including phone records, jail calls, witness statements and other evidence were withheld from the defense. James Poore's trial was set to begin Monday.

  • Former Tulsa County sheriff's deputy convicted of sexual battery, indecent exposure

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Fri, Oct 16, 2015

    Former Tulsa County Sheriff’s Deputy Gerald Nuckolls, 27, has been found guilty of one count of sexual battery and one count of indecent exposure but was acquitted of one other count of each. Each count of sexual battery and indecent exposure carries up to 10 years in prison, Tulsa County District Judge William LaFortune said in jury instructions Friday. A jury has recommended he receive four years in prison for each count. Nuckolls was convicted on counts stemming from his Sept. 16, 2014, arrest on allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman at her home. The 34-year-old woman testified that Nuckolls initially said he was responding to 911 hangup calls when he showed up at her house in the 5600 block of North Utica Place around 3 a.m.

  • Former executive of Oklahoma company sentenced to nearly three years in prison

    BY CURTIS KILLMAN, Tulsa World | Published: Fri, Oct 16, 2015

    A former executive who helped prosecutors convict former Arrow Trucking Co. CEO James Douglas “Doug” Pielsticker was sentenced to serve 35 months in prison Friday. U.S. District Chief Judge Gregory Frizzell ordered Jonathan Leland Moore to serve the time after prosecutors requested a lighter sentence be imposed than what was given to his boss last week. Moore was the chief financial officer at Arrow Trucking when it abruptly closed in December 2009, triggering a criminal investigation into the financial collapse of the family owned business.

  • Former Tulsa County deputy testifies at his sexual battery trial that women initiated inappropriate behavior

    BY SAMANTHA VICENT, Tulsa World | Published: Thu, Oct 15, 2015

    Former Tulsa County Sheriff’s Deputy Gerald Nuckolls denied in court testimony Thursday that he committed sex crimes against women he encountered while on duty, but he conceded that he violated Sheriff’s Office policies and behaved unprofessionally during those interactions. Nuckolls, 27, took the stand in his own defense after a jury watched a video of him being interrogated by then-Detective Marshall Eldridge, a Sheriff’s Office employee who now works in the Internal Affairs Division, about allegations that he groped a woman at her home in the 5600 block of North Utica Place. Nuckolls faces two charges each of sexual battery and indecent exposure connected to incidents involving that 34-year-old woman on Sept. 16, 2014, and a 41-year-old woman on March 9, 2014, at 171st Street and Yale Avenue.

  • Appeals court overturns release of Tulsa man convicted of manslaughter

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Thu, Oct 15, 2015

    Handcuffs returned to the wrists of a Tulsa man Thursday, one week after he’d been released on bond four years into his 24-year prison sentence. Steven Wade Jameson, 24, was remanded to the custody of the Department of Corrections about half an hour after the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals vacated a district judge's order that granted Jameson bail on Oct. 8. District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler filed an appeal on Monday claiming that a district judge was not authorized to set bail for Jameson while his application for post-conviction relief was still pending.

  • Oklahoma state Health Department confirms season's first cases of flu in Oklahoma

    From Staff Reports | Updated: Thu, Oct 15, 2015

    The state Health Department confirmed the first three cases of the flu Thursday in Oklahoma. Two were in Tulsa County and one in Oklahoma County.

  • Police: Fatal shooting in Tulsa might have been self-defense

    BY STACY RYBURN, Tulsa World | Published: Wed, Oct 14, 2015

    An August shooting that left a man dead on a north Tulsa street might have been an act of self-defense, according to Tulsa police. Thomas Anthony Reed, 20, was found dead in the 2000 block of North Harvard Avenue, near Ute Street, after being shot just after 8:30 p.m. Aug. 28, Homicide Sgt. Dave Walker said. Police at the time said Reed and another man had been walking from opposite directions when they met, a confrontation ensued and shots rang out. Reed was shot twice before walking across the street and back again, collapsing near the side of the road.

  • Oklahoma Judge orders temporary block on anti-abortion law scheduled to take effect Nov. 1

    By Kyle Schwab Staff Writer kschwab@oklahoman.com | Updated: Wed, Oct 14, 2015

    An Oklahoma County judge on Wednesday ordered a temporary block on an anti-abortion law that would have banned a common abortion procedure.

  • First day of testimony in trial for former Tulsa County sheriff's deputy charged with sexual battery

    BY ARIANNA PICKARD, Tulsa World | Published: Wed, Oct 14, 2015

    A woman testified Wednesday morning that a former Tulsa County sheriff’s deputy pinched her inappropriately and exposed himself while responding to a report of a 911 hangup call at her house in the early morning hours of Sept. 16, 2014. The 32-year-old woman was the first to testify in the trial for Gerald Nuckolls, 27, who is charged with two counts of sexual battery and two counts of indecent exposure against two women. The Tulsa World does not identify victims of sexual assault.

  • VIDEO: Tank explosion at Owasso rock quarry captured on helmet camera

    FROM TULSA WORLD STAFF REPORTS | Published: Wed, Oct 14, 2015

    A firefighter with the Limestone Fire Protection District had a camera mounted to his helmet that captured the moment a tank exploded at Tulsa Asphalt Monday. A fire at an Owasso rock quarry Monday caused a fuel tank at the site to explode, injuring three firefighters and sending two to the hospital. The blaze drew a large emergency response to Tulsa Asphalt, located near 66th Street North and 129th East Avenue.  The fire started Monday morning while employees were cleaning the tanks. The cause of the blaze is under investigation, according to Rogers County Emergency Management Director Scott Stokes.

  • Victim arrested after armed robbery at east Tulsa hotel

    BY PAIGHTEN HARKINS, Tulsa World | Published: Tue, Oct 13, 2015

    A man staying in an east Tulsa hotel was cut during an armed robbery when three men he says he didn’t know entered his room and reportedly took his belongings. Police responded to the call just after 8:30 a.m. Monday. The victim, Bradley Beck, told police someone knocked on his door at the hotel room, located at Extended Stay Inn and Suites near the 8500 block of East 41st Street. When he opened the door, a man Beck identified as a 6-foot-1 white man named Zack entered along with two other white males.

  • Tulsa-based Williams Cos. outlines policy for possible layoffs

    BY JOHN STANCAVAGE, Tulsa World | Published: Mon, Oct 12, 2015

    More information has begun to bubble up about the proposed $37.7 billion merger between Tulsa-based Williams Cos. and Energy Transfer Equity LP. In a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Williams said it did not anticipate widespread layoffs. Prior to this, Dallas-based ETE had said only that it would keep a “meaningful presence” in Tulsa. “We don’t expect the large majority of Williams employees to be impacted by potential severance,” Williams says in the latest filing.