Morocco and Angola draw 0-0 in African Cup
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Morocco and Angola drew 0-0 in the African Cup of Nations on Saturday, leaving the continent's top tournament without a goal after an unimpressive opening two games in South Africa.
The Moroccans and Angolans created chances at Soccer City, including two in the first five minutes, but failed to convert to leave Group A goalless after 180 minutes and fans with little to cheer in the rain in Soweto.
Host South Africa was held to 0-0 by tournament debutant Cape Verde in the same stadium earlier on Saturday.
"We monopolized the first half, but we wasted our chances," Morocco coach Rachid Taoussi said.
Mingo Bile hit a low skidding shot for Angola in the second minute, forcing goalkeeper Nadir Lamyaghri to parry. Morocco replied with a rasping drive by Karim El Hamdaoui in the fifth that Lama saved.
In the second half, Angola's Alfonso Guilherme missed an open goal after a bad mistake by Lamyaghri, when he dropped a slippery ball behind him and at the feet of the substitute.
Striker and captain Manucho sent a diving header flashing just wide right at the end which would have stolen victory for the strong-finishing Angolans after Morocco had the better of the first half.
The Moroccans started briskly after Bile's early warning.
Impressive left winger Ossama Assaidi weaved in and out and past two defenders on the left flank in the 14th, then unleashed a shot over the crossbar from a tight angle.
Karim El Ahmadi lined up a drive from outside the penalty area a couple of minutes later but flashed his powerful effort across goal and past the left post as the Moroccans pressed.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in