Motocross rider gets 'back on the horse'
Motocross rider Trey Canard suffered from a spinal cord injury during a race Jan. 21, 2012. Through rehab with Mercy's director of sports medicine and physical therapy, the 22-year-old Shawnee man competed in his first race since the accident on Jan. 5 and finished second.
Videoview all videos
Jan 25Trey Canard spent six months retraining and rehabbing his...
Photoview all 8 photos
“I wanted to continue to race, but I wasn't sure if that was a smart thing or a good thing or the right thing to do, but I told Dave that I really want to do this and asked if I could do it. He told me yeah, I could do it but that I may never be the same,” Canard said.
Having a goal
In October, Canard went from rehabbing to training.
“It was always a very positive experience working with Trey,” Huslig said. “Treating athletes like Trey, you need to know where you are going, and Trey knew specifically what he needed to do to reach the goal of being an elite motocross athlete.”
Mercy's sports medicine and physical therapy department is one of the practices that are expanding into the new Mercy Edmond location, 2107 W Interstate 35 Frontage Rd.
In the 750-square-foot sports medicine area of the wellness facility, it will have three pools, an artificial turf floor, a 60-meter, two-lane track, motion-video analysis, and a 70-foot-long cage for throwing and golfing athletes to give athletes an individualized approach for athletes' treatments, Huslig said.
Canard said he is grateful to Huslig and others in the Mercy sports medicine department for helping him push himself.
“I give all the credit to God,” Canard said. “God put me in this position, hopefully for His glory, and hopefully with this story, this injury and with REvival41 (a documentary about Canard's recovery). That is my encouragement, it gives me the ability to have faith that everything is going to be all right and it is happening for a good reason. It gives me a little bit of extra strength to go back out there.”
To learn more about Canard's accident and rehab, visit www.revival41.com.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister