American churches are stronger than you might think
“All Scripture is breathed out by God,” we are told in Timothy 3:16, “and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction ...”
I doubt the same can be said of newspaper columns, but I feel compelled to set the record straight after reading Ross Douthat’s piece in last Sunday’s New York Times, in which he proclaimed that since the 1960s, “conservative Christianity has often been compromised” and “liberal Christianity has simply collapsed.”
Douthat is rightly concerned about the continued theological and numerical decline of mainline churches. That trend is real enough. But like many commentators, Douthat misses the story of hope...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister