Muldrow man to seek post despite charges

Oklahoman Published: January 11, 2009
Advertisement
;
STILWELL

Man to seek post despite charges
A rural Muldrow man with pending felony and misdemeanor charges has announced plans to seek the district judgeship post in Adair County. Joseph Josiah Stone, 47, is set to appear before District Judge Jeff Payton on Tuesday on charges stemming from threats he allegedly made against some Elohim City residents. On Thursday, the Tahlequah Daily Press received documents in the mail from Stone that indicate he plans to challenge Payton in the 2010 election. Stone, who represents himself in the case, is charged with sending a letter to Dorcas Millar, threatening to poison her water source. He also is accused of threatening Sheila Millar with bodily harm.

MCALESTER

Hospital OKs financial report
The board of McAlester Regional Health Center met for the first time since the layoffs of six employees on Dec. 31 and approved a monthly financial report that reflected little relief for the facility. Ben Scott, vice president of finances, said the hospital has so far taken a $689,310 loss this fiscal year. He gave the report at last week’s meeting. The six — two nurses, a secretary and three supervisory employees — were in addition to 15 positions cut over the previous month. Overall, 30 jobs at the 197-bed hospital have been eliminated over the past six months.

ARDMORE

Construction schedule changed
The construction schedule for a new patient tower at an Ardmore hospital has been adjusted by four months. Mercy Memorial Health Center officials say the project’s completion date now is set for June 2010, four months later than previously planned. They say the change will accommodate the installation of a new all-digital hospital information system. Hospital spokeswoman Shana Hammond says plans originally called for a phased-in installation of the system.

MUSKOGEE

Man enters plea in porn case
A Pittsburg County man pleaded guilty to child pornography charges, the U.S. attorney’s office in Muskogee said Friday. William David Burkhart, 61, pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography, U.S. Attorney Sheldon J. Sperling said. Charges arose from a federal investigation in which authorities received information from Europol regarding a ring of people in 28 countries who were producing, trading and possessing child pornography. Burkhart’s e-mail address was listed among those who had ordered and received child pornography videos, Sperling said. On May 8, federal agents searched Burkhart’s home and seized a computer and hundreds of DVDs that contained child pornography, Sperling said. Burkhart could face up to 10 years in prison.

Former guard could face prison
Federal prosecutors in Muskogee said Friday that a former prison guard pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography.
NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.