Multi-day pass rentals headache for Disneyland
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — An increasing number of tourists are finding a way to save $40 or more on day passes to California's Disney theme parks by "renting" one day of a multi-day park hopper pass — and the practice is giving Disneyland a run for its money.
At least seven unofficial ticket agencies located around Disneyland will "rent" one day of the multi-day passes for $80 to $99 per day person, a significant savings from the $125 price tag for tickets to attend Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.
Police say there's nothing illegal about unofficial ticket agencies renting out multiday passes by the day, but Disney forbids ticket transfers and will confiscate the passes if they discover them, The Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/SKGcxq) reported Wednesday.
Within the year, Anaheim parks plan to put in new technology that could resolve the issue, said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. She declined to elaborate.
"Ticket 'renting' is in violation of our policy, which clearly states that tickets must be used by the same person on any and all days," Brown said. "So that our guests are not taken advantage of, we strongly advise that they only purchase tickets at Disneyland Resort, at our hotels or through an authorized seller to ensure that tickets are valid."
The unofficial ticket agencies buy the multi-day passes from Disneyland or an authorized vendor and then rent them by the day to tourists. At the end of the day, the tourist returns the multi-day pass and the agency rents it out to another tourist for each day of its five-day valid period.
A five-day, park-hopper pass is $290— so for $58 a day, the customer can go to Disneyland and California Adventure. At the gate, the single-ticket cost is $125.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit