Murkowski again proposes renaming Mount McKinley
Murkowski, R-Alaska, introduced a version of her bill during the last Congress, and said she heard from people all over Alaska, thanking her for the effort. "This is important to Alaska and quite honestly, it's important to the Native people, it's important to all indigenous people that we respect and honor the names and traditions," she said in an interview.
She said she expects some opposition from those who have only known the mountain as Mount McKinley but said that opposition might be softening.
One of the most vocal opponents of a name change was Ohio U.S. Rep. Ralph Regula, who fought the idea through measures or language included in bills until his retirement in January 2009.
Follow Becky Bohrer on Twitter at http://twitter.com/beckybohrerap .
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims