Mustang Brewing Co. announces purchase agreement for OKCity Brewing Cooperative
Under the purchase agreement, Mustang Brewing Co. will buy and expand the OKCity Brewing Cooperative, with its roster of brewers to remain intact.
Former OKCity Brewing owner Sibyl Kang said the timing was right for the sale.
“I have enjoyed learning the craft brewing business and want to see it continue to grow,” Kang said. “I believe everything happens for a reason, and when the opportunity presented itself, we knew it was the right thing to do at the right time. I think Mustang will be able to take it to the next level and continue what has been started.”
OKCity was formed with Redbud Brewing Co. as its chief tenant. In August, Redbud brewmaster Chase Healey announced he was leaving the company. Healey resurfaced recently when he was named brewmaster at Prairie Artisan Ales, which started operations in Oklahoma this summer.
At the time of Healey's departure, Kang said Redbud planned to hire a new brewmaster and continue production.
Mustang marketing and promotions manager Eric Pennell said Redbud will remain a part of the cooperative and continue to be distributed throughout Oklahoma, although it has not been determined who will brew the beer.
Schoelen said he plans to add fermenters and tanks to accommodate Mustang's growth and the growth of the other brewers at the cooperative.
He said other brewers could be added to the roster if existing ones transition out.
A sale price for the transaction was not disclosed due to a confidentiality agreement. Oklahoma County property records show the building previously sold in August 2011 for $170,000.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters