My trip to Boston with an ultimate fan
"Love's loves you both!" The words still echo through my mind in disbelief.
When Zebulun Paul Benbrook -- better known as Zorgon throughout the Oklahoma City area -- was awarded a free trip to see the Celtics play the Thunder in the Garden, only one thing went through my mind: "I'm going to Boston."
The best part about cheering against the Celtics at the Garden? The heckling. "I never knew Oklahoma City had so many fans!" one guy said upon seeing the two of us. I guess that was supposed to be funny. "Kevin Durant sucks!" shouted another guy. Was that supposed to be offensive? Zorgon's volume even got us on the jumbo screen not just once, but twice. The boos that followed were as loud as any. "Go back to Oklahoma City!" one fan shouted. "I will," Zorgon said, "as soon as the game is over."
Technically, my friend is only the second biggest Thunder fan in the world. The actual winner was Josh Newby, aka Thunderhead, who has a marvelous costume and is really a nice guy. However, the passion displayed by Zorgon can be rivaled by very few, and fortunately for the both of us, Love's announced that both the first and second place finishers would both be winners.
After many hours spent flying and stranded in airports, we hopped onto the subway. As soon as we stepped off the "I" and got our first real glimpse of Boston, we began looking for our hotel -- a Holiday Inn Express with a rickety elevator and complimentary breakfast. We didn't complain.
The next morning we set out to explore Fenway Park. Our vision of an all-encompassing, all-inclusive, all-access tour of the historic park was replaced by the reality of a few pictures in front of a green screen, a PowerPoint presentation and a 5 minute photo op.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say