Nancy Lieberman excited about role as Thunder studio analyst
Former coach of Texas Legends still hopes to coach in NBA
This will be the second season in a row Basketball Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman hasn't been coaching. But the new “Thunder Live” studio analyst hasn't given up her dream of coaching in the NBA.
“It could be a player development coach, it could be breaking down film, it could be Xs and Os,” she said. “I don't think in my lifetime there will be a women's head coach in the NBA, but I do think there can be a place for someone who just happens to be a woman, but is qualified on an NBA bench or behind an NBA bench. I hope one day that is me.”
Lieberman, 54, coached the Texas Legends, the Dallas Mavericks' NBA Development League franchise, for two seasons, including reaching the playoffs and mentoring Antonio Daniels for an NBA run. But last season, she gave up the job to allow her time to watch her son play his senior season at Plano (Texas) West High School. A 6-foot-8, 220-pounder, T.J. Cline led his school in scoring and rebounding in reaching the second round of the state playoffs.
“Really his dream since he was 10 years old was to go to Oklahoma and be a Sooner,” said Lieberman, noting T.J. had turned his bedroom into a Sooner shine. “It didn't work out. He ended up getting a full scholarship to Niagara.”
Lieberman still serves as the Legends' assistant general manager. Former OU star Eduardo Najera took over as coach this season.
In teaming with studio hosts Dana Larson and John Rhadigan, Lieberman said she is excited about her new role on “Thunder Live,” the pregame and postgame shows that air on Fox Sports Oklahoma. She will make her debut at 6:30 p.m. Friday before the home opener against Portland, and is encouraging viewers to send her questions through Twitter (@NancyLieberman) or her Facebook page.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims