Nanotechnology emerging in Oklahoma
Oklahoma, historically a land sustained by energy and agriculture, is enjoying the emergence of a new industry that promises to impact every aspect of our lives. Nanotechnology has captured the attention of researchers, empowering the state to lead the way in applications of nanotechnology.
The Oklahoma Nanotechnology Initiative boasts impressive numbers regarding the development of nanotechnology business in Oklahoma since the Legislature created the Oklahoma Nanotechnology Sharing Incentive Act of 2006. The implementation of the act in the form of the Oklahoma Nanotechnology Applications Project (ONAP) by the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology has produced 58 companies being involved in nanotechnology in 18 communities throughout Oklahoma.
Emerging and established businesses are impacted by technology development. It is this growth that is placing Oklahoma at the forefront of applications of nanotechnology.
Oklahoma has achieved national recognition in the application of nanotechnology. On Friday, the NanoFocus 2011 conference is taking place in Oklahoma City. The conference will showcase the successes of Oklahoma businesses in using nanotechnology to create or improve commercial products. Preceding the NanoFocus conference, OCAST has scheduled workshops in Oklahoma City, Stillwater and Tulsa on the Jan. 11, 12 and 13, respectively, to explain how companies can apply for the 2011 ONAP funds.
The Oklahoma Nanotechnology Initiative was founded on the belief that innovative and entrepreneurial Oklahomans could use nanotechnology discoveries to help Oklahoma companies become world leaders in their fields.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister