Nantes to serve 1-year ban on signing new players

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 7, 2014 at 5:10 am •  Published: March 7, 2014
Advertisement
;

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — French club Nantes will serve a one-year FIFA ban on recruiting new players after losing an appeal at Switzerland's supreme court.

A Swiss Federal Tribunal ruling says FIFA's disputes panel and the Court of Arbitration for Sport correctly imposed the sanction for Nantes enticing Guinea forward Ismael Bangoura to break his contract with Dubai club Al Nasr in January 2012.

Nantes, which is 15th in 20-team French league, previously had the ban frozen pending the federal verdict.

FIFA says the ban applies "during the upcoming summer 2014 and winter 2015 registration periods."

Nantes can sell and release players but is barred from registering new signings with the French Football Federation.

Bangoura must also pay Al Nasr 4.5 million euros ($6.2 million) plus interest in compensation.