Napoli has 2 ways to earn extra $8 million
NEW YORK (AP) — Mike Napoli has two ways to boost his income with the Boston Red Sox to $13 million this year: stay on the active roster for at least 165 days or get 625 plate appearances with at least 120 days on the roster.
Napoli and Boston reached a $39 million, three-year agreement on Dec. 3, subject to a physical. After doctors detected a hip condition, the sides finalized a one-year deal Tuesday guaranteeing $5 million and allowing him to earn $8 million in bonuses.
Napoli would get the full $8 million for 165 days on the active roster, not including the disabled list.
If he doesn't achieve that, a second set of bonus opportunities kicks in: $500,000 each for 30, 60, 90 and 120 days on the active roster; $500,000 apiece for 300, 235, 350 and 375 plate appearances; and $1 million each for 400, 475, 550 and 625 plate appearances.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss