NASCAR 1st multicar test with '13 cars, new aero
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — NASCAR is having its first multicar test with the 2013 Sprint Cup models and new aero package.
The two-day test at Texas started Tuesday, with 100 pounds removed off the right side and 60 pounds off the left side of the cars. It is also part of a test with Goodyear tires built specifically for the new cars to optimize grip.
Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition, says the cars were built to get more mechanical grip and reduce the aero dependency.
Juan Pablo Montoya was "happily surprised" with the reduced downforce. He says the car slid around a little bit, but wasn't unpredictable and didn't do anything strange.
The new Cup cars for Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota look more like their passenger car counterparts.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims