National Weather Center tours offer look at the tools and techniques researchers use to study weather
Find ‘Weather Central' in Norman — and a fascinating look at how meteorologists work — at the National Weather Center.
In the last week, Oklahoma City has had temperatures ranging from the 20s to the 70s. Oklahoma's unpredictable weather made me think about the National Weather Center in Norman.
Did you know they have regular tours of the facility? When entering the building, one can't help but notice the Science on a Sphere. It's like a projector screen on steroids, and it's a mesmerizing, almost hypnotic way to view the weather around the world.
The National Weather Center houses different divisions, one of which is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Storm Prediction Center. The center is responsible for issuing all the tornado and severe thunderstorm watches for all 48 contiguous states. The center is home to five NOAA offices. The research taking place here is impressive as meteorologists work every day to understand more about the weather that can dominate our lives.
The NOAA National Weather Service Forecast Office, covering central Oklahoma, is also located here, as is the NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory. If you've ever wondered where “weather central” can be found, it's right here in Norman. When you take a tour, you'll get fascinating information on how this all works.
They have it all — from the high tech to the low tech. On the low-tech side, you can see examples of some of the devices sent into the heart of violent storms, most never to be seen again. Want to see what the vehicles used by serious storm scientists look like up close? You'll find them here, too. Packed full of gear and state-of-the-art equipment, it's a testament to the men and women who literally chase storms and tornadoes, reporting and gathering data.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes