NBA All-Star Game will have an Oklahoma flavor for a long time
Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Blake Griffin combined for 79 points and 20 rebounds from three of Oklahoma City's finest, and there are likely many more appearances to come.
The NBA All-Star Game could use Pete Rose. Rose barreled into catcher Ray Fosse to win baseball's 1970 All-Star game. Pete would self-combust at the half Globetrotters/half trampoline dunk act that the All-Stars display until the closing minutes.
Photoview all 38 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Of course, the Rose/Fosse collision came in the 12th inning. So we're only guessing that Rose would be gung-ho in the third inning. Probably guessing correctly.
LeBron James entered the game the NBA All-Star Game record-holder for points per game, 24.4. He scored 36 points, to raise his average to 25.9. And left no longer the record-holder.
Kevin Durant's 36 points give him 85 points in three games: 28.3.
Russell Westbrook played with a joy we see in spurts in OKC. The guy goes into a shell with the media, but the real Westbrook was on full display Sunday night. All sorts of gyrations, not in a confrontational way, but in a celebratory way. Give us more, Spiderman, give us more.
Hey, you want the intensity to kick in a little earlier? Adopt the baseball rule. The All-Star winner gets homecourt advantage in the NBA Finals.
Of course, Dwyane Wade bloodied Kobe Bryant's nose with a hard foul long before crunch time. So maybe we ought to keep things just as they are.
Mary J. Blige is still searching for the tune of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” She's not the first. But at least we got to hear “O Canada.” Always a treat.
Durant, Westbrook, Blake Griffin. That's 79 points and 20 rebounds from those dear to the heart of Oklahoma City. Get used to it. The All-Star appearances for none of the three will slow down anytime soon.
The game wasn't four minutes old when my wife asked, “Is there going to be much defense?”
The first 45 minutes, defenders acted like the hardwood in the charge circle was made of hot burning coals.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss