MIAMI (AP) — The NBA plans to make San Antonio pay for resting four starters.
The Miami Heat almost could not.
Ray Allen hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 22.6 seconds left and Miami rallied late to beat the Spurs 105-100 on Thursday night — needing to dig deep despite San Antonio's decision to have four top players resting at home for a nationally televised game in a move that irritated NBA Commissioner David Stern.
LeBron James finished with 23 points for the Heat. Allen scored 20, Dwyane Wade added 19 and Chris Bosh had 18 points and 12 rebounds for Miami, now 7-0 at home.
Gary Neal scored 20 points for the Spurs, who played without Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green. The team's top foursome was sent back to San Antonio by coach Gregg Popovich, who said the move was in his team's best interest. Stern wasn't happy about it, calling the decision unacceptable, apologizing to NBA fans and saying that substantial sanctions against the Spurs will follow.
Tiago Splitter scored 18 points and Nando De Colo added 15 for San Antonio, which finished a six-games-in-nine-nights road trip with a 5-1 record.
The Spurs led by seven with about 5 minutes left and were up 98-93 after Neal made a 3-pointer with 2:14 remaining.
The Heat finished on a 12-2 run, needing yet another late-game rally.
WARRIORS 106, NUGGETS 105
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Andre Iguodala's 3-pointer as the buzzer sounded was waived off, and Golden State held on for a wild win over Denver after four replay reviews over the final 3.4 seconds.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister