NBA center Mullens unable to play for Britain
LONDON (AP) — Byron Mullens will miss the London Olympics because of an injury, depriving host Britain of one of its three NBA players.
The Charlotte Bobcats center, who was born in Columbus, Ohio, but has an English mother, is shelved for the tournament because of a long-standing toe problem.
Mullens received his British passport in March and hasn't yet played for Britain.
Britain coach Chris Finch says: "It is disappointing but we have a very strong squad in camp."
Detroit Pistons guard Ben Gordon and Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng are the other NBA players on the Britain squad, which was allowed to compete at the Olympics by the International Basketball Federation despite not qualifying.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law