(Projected playoff seeds)
1. LOS ANGELES LAKERS — The acquisitions of point guard Steve Nash and center Dwight Howard give the Lakers four Hall of Famers in their starting lineup, plus Metta World Peace. The re-signing of forward/center Jordan Hill also was significant, plus the experience of Antawn Jamison.
Additions: PG Steve Nash; C Dwight Howard; F Antawn Jamison; G Chris Duhon; F Earl Clark; G Darius Johnson-Odom.
Subtractions: C Andrew Bynum; F Christian Eyenga; F Josh McRoberts; PG Ramon Sessions; F Matt Barnes; F/C Troy Murphy.
NBA Draft: C Robert Sacre.
2. OKC THUNDER — A steady building process continues as the Thunder did not re-sign any of its three 30-and-older unrestricted free agents while stealing capable forward Perry Jones III with the 28th overall pick in the NBA Draft and adding low-risk centers in Hasheem Thabeet and Daniel Orton.
Additions: C Hasheem Thabeet; F Hollis Thompson; C Daniel Orton.
Subtractions: G Derek Fisher; G Royal Ivey; C Nazr Mohammed.
NBA Draft: F Perry Jones III.
3. SAN ANTONIO SPURS — San Antonio kept the status quo by re-signing four players during the offseason in F/C Tim Duncan, F Boris Diaw, G Danny Green and PG Patty Mills. Six players competed in the Olympics, including free agent Nando de Colo, a combo guard from France.
Additions: G Nando de Colo.
Subtractions: G James Anderson.
NBA Draft: G Marcus Denmon.
4. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS — The Clippers tried to keep pace with their Staples Center co-tenants with the additions of Hall of Famer Grant Hill and shooting guard Jamal Crawford. The healthy return of injured point guard Chauncey Billups is vital.
Additions: F Grant Hill; G Jamal Crawford; C Ryan Hollins; C Ronny Turiaf; G Willie Green; F Lamar Odom.
Subtractions: F Kenyon Martin; F Bobby Simmons; G Randy Foye; G Nick Young; F Reggie Evans; G Mo Williams; F Ryan Gomes (amnesty).
NBA Draft: None.
5. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES — The Grizzlies got rid of their primary headache in O.J. Mayo, whose production declined each of his four seasons, and added point guard Jarryd Bayless as a backup. A healthy (and in shape) Zach Randolph remains the key component, however.
Additions: PG Jarryd Bayless; G Wayne Ellington; F D.J. Kennedy.
Subtractions: G O.J. Mayo; G Gilbert Arenas; F Dante Cunningham; G Jeremy Pargo.
NBA Draft: G Tony Wroten Jr.
6. DALLAS MAVERICKS — The 2011 NBA champions whiffed on attempts to acquire center Dwight Howard or point guard Deron Williams after doing some serious offseason reshuffling. They settled by acquiring three starters from other teams, plus a converted starter in O.J. Mayo.
Additions: F Elton Brand; C Chris Kaman; G O.J. Mayo; G Darren Collison.
Subtractions: PG Jason Kidd; G Jason Terry; F Lamar Odom; C Ian Mahinmi; G Kelenna Azubuike; C Brendan Haywood (amnesty).
NBA Draft: SG Jared Cunningham, C Bernard James, G Jae Crowder.
7. DENVER NUGGETS — One of the four teams involved in the deal that sent Dwight Howard from Orlando to the Lakers, Denver landed Olympian and All-Star Andre Iguodala, but to do so the Nuggets had to part ways with quality guard Arron Afflalo, plus Al Harrington and a draft pick.
Additions: G Andre Iguodala; F Anthony Randolph.
Subtractions: G Arron Afflalo; F Al Harrington; G Rudy Fernandez; F Chris Andersen (amnesty).
NBA Draft: G Evan Fournier; F Quincy Miller; F Izzet Turkyilmaz.
8. UTAH JAZZ — The Jazz looked at the Clippers to improve their roster, signing free agent guard Randy Foye and acquiring Mo Williams in a four-team trade on June 29. Williams returns to the team where he began his NBA career as a second-round pick in 2003.
Additions: G Randy Foye; G Mo Williams; F Marvin Williams.
Subtractions: F C.J. Miles; G Devin Harris; F Josh Howard; G Blake Ahearn.
NBA Draft: G Kevin Murphy.
ON THE BUBBLE
9. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES — When they have a healthy Ricky Rubio at point guard, the Timberwolves are a fringe playoff team with a revamped roster that now includes a solid mix of role players to accompany All-Star Kevin Love.
Additions: F Chase Budinger, F Dante Cunningham, G Jerome Dyson, F Andrei Kirilenko; G Brandon Roy; C Greg Stiemsma; G Alexey Shved.
Subtractions: F Michael Beasley; G Wayne Ellington; G Wesley Johnson; F Martell Webster; F Anthony Randolph; C Darko Milicic (amnesty).
NBA Draft: F Robbie Hummel.
10. HOUSTON ROCKETS — Much like their neighbors to the north in Dallas, the Rockets cleared house and whiffed on attempts to lure a franchise player in center Dwight Howard or power forward Pau Gasol and ended up with a slew of new faces.
Additions: PG Jeremy Lin; C Omer Asik; F Jon Brockman; G Toney Douglas; C Josh Harrellson; G Shaun Livingston; F JaJuan Johnson; F/C Sean Williams; F Furkan Aldemir.
Subtractions: G Goran Dragic; F Chase Budinger; C Samuel Dalembert; G Courtney Lee; G Kyle Lowry; C Marcus Camby; F Jon Leuer; F/C Luis Scola (amnesty).
NBA Draft: G Jeremy Lamb; F Royce White, F Terrence Jones.
1. MIAMI HEAT — Though the Heat shot 37.0 percent from 3-point range against the Thunder in the Finals, it acquired the most prolific 3-point shooter in league history by stealing Ray Allen from the rival Boston Celtics, making a great team even greater.
Additions: G Ray Allen; F Rashard Lewis.
Subtractions: C Ronny Turiaf; C Eddy Curry; C Dexter Pittman.
NBA Draft: C Justin Hamilton.
2. PHILADELPHIA 76ERS — The acquisition of center Andrew Bynum in a four-team trade involving the Lakers should lift the Sixers to the top spot in a suddenly competitive Atlantic Division alongside Boston, Brooklyn and New York.
Additions: C Andrew Bynum; G Jason Richardson; F Darryl Watkins; F Dorell Wright; G Nick Young; G Royal Ivey; C Kwame Brown.
Subtractions: F Andre Iguodala; F Nikola Vucevic; G Lou Williams; F Edin Bavcic; F Moe Harkless; F Tony Battie; F Craig Brackins; G Jodie Meeks; G Xavier Silas; F Sam Young; F Elton Brand (amnesty).
NBA Draft: F Arnett Moultrie.
3. INDIANA PACERS — The Pacers should claim the Central Division title with Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose sidelined. The Pacers re-signed center Roy Hibbert and guard George Hill and signed free agent guard D.J. Augustin to offset trading Darren Collison.
Additions: G D.J. Augustin; G Gerald Green; C Ian Mahinmi.
Subtractions: G Darren Collison; G Dahntay Jones; G A.J. Price; G Leandro Barbosa; C Kyrylo Fesenko; F Louis Amundson.
NBA Draft: F Miles Plumlee; G Orlando Johnson.
4. BOSTON CELTICS — The signing of Jason Terry at shooting guard countered losing Hall of Famer Ray Allen. The Celtics kept key components by re-signing center Kevin Garnett and forward Brandon Bass, and also plucked guard Courtney Lee and center Jason Collins.
Additions: G Jason Terry; C Jason Collins; G Courtney Lee.
Subtractions: G Ray Allen; C Ryan Hollins; C Greg Stiemsma; F JaJuan Johnson; G E'Twaun Moore; G Sasha Pavlovic; C Sean Williams.
NBA Draft: F Jared Sullinger; C Fab Melo; F Kris Joseph.
5. BROOKLYN NETS — The relocated Nets committed more than $340 million in salaries during the offseason, led by the re-signing of point guard Deron Williams, center Brook Lopez, forward Gerald Wallace and forward Kris Humphries, plus inheriting Joe Johnson's massive contract.
Additions: G Joe Johnson; F Reggie Evans; G Keith Bogans; F Jerry Stackhouse; G C.J. Watson.
Subtractions: G Gerald Green; G Anthony Morrow; G Jordan Farmar; C Johan Petro; F DeShawn Stevenson; F Jordan Williams; G Sundiata Gaines; F Damion James; G Armon Johnson; F Shelden Williams.
NBA Draft: G Tyshawn Taylor; F Ilkan Karaman; F Tornike Shengelia.
6. NEW YORK KNICKS — Overpaid free agent Jeremy Lin headed to Houston and will be replaced by Hall of Famer Jason Kidd at the point. Knicks also brought point guard Raymond Felton and center Marcus Camby back to New York is hopes of kindling some magic.
Additions: G Jason Kidd; C Marcus Camby; G Raymond Felton; F Kurt Thomas; G Ronnie Brewer; G Chris Smith; G James White; G Pablo Prigioni; F Chris Copeland.
Subtractions: G Jeremy Lin; G Landry Fields; G Toney Douglas; G Mike Bibby; G Baron Davis; C Josh Harrellson; C Jerome Jordan; F Jared Jeffries; C Dan Gadzuric.
NBA Draft: F Kostas Papanikolaou.
7. CHICAGO BULLS — Best-case scenario has point guard Derrick Rose returning from knee surgery in late March, which guarantees the Bulls won't repeat as the top playoff seed in the East. Heck, they'd completely miss the boat if the conference wasn't so shallow.
Additions: G Krik Hinrich; G Marco Belinelli; F Vladimir Radmanovic; C Nazr Mohammed; G Nate Robinson.
Subtractions: C Omer Asik; G Ronnie Brewer; G John Lucas III; G C.J. Watson; F Kyle Korver; G Mike James; F Brian Scalabrine.
NBA Draft: G Marquis Teague.
8. ATLANTA HAWKS — Joe Johnson's maximum contract now belongs to the Brooklyn Nets, and 10 other players also departed. Newcomers include guard Lou Williams, Anthony Morrow and DeShawn Stevenson who will join All-Stars Al Horford and Josh Smith.
Additions: G Lou Williams; G Devin Harris; F Kyle Korver; C Johan Petro; F Anthony Morrow; F DeShawn Stevenson; F Jordan Williams.
Subtractions: G Joe Johnson; G Tracy McGrady; G Jannero Pargo; F Ivan Johnson; G Kirk Hinrich; C Jason Collins; F Vladimir Radmonovic; F Jerry Stackhouse; G Willie Green; F Marvin Williams; G Jordan Farmar.
NBA Draft: G John Jenkins; F Mike Scott.
ON THE BUBBLE
9. MILWAUKEE BUCKS — After years of playing mix-and-match, the Bucks held steady by retaining 10 players from last year's roster. They hope shooting guard Monta Ellis can supply some much-needed offensive firepower, but failed to re-sign free agent guard Carlos Delfino.
Additions: C Joel Przybilla; C Samuel Dalembert.
Subtractions: G Carlos Delfino; C Kwame Brown; F Jon Brockman; C Jon Leuer; G Shaun Livingston.
NBA Draft: F John Henson; G Doron Lamb.
10. ORLANDO MAGIC — Gone are six players, including center Dwight Howard, much-improved forward Ryan Anderson and guard Jason Richardson, plus coach Stan Van Gundy. Though guard Jameer Nelson reconsidered and re-signed, Orlando officially is under construction.
Additions: G Arron Afflalo; F Al Harrington; F/C Gustavo Ayon; F Christian Eyenga; F Josh McRoberts; F Nikola Vucevic; F Moe Harkless.
Subtractions: C Dwight Howard; F Ryan Anderson, G Jason Richardson; F Earl Clark; G Chris Duhon; F Von Wafer.
NBA Draft: F Andrew Nicholson; C Kyle O'Quinn.