NBA power rankings: The post-Dwight Howard trade power rankings
John Rohde breaks down the NBA power rankings now that Dwight Howard has landed with the Los Angeles Lakers.
(Projected playoff seeds)
1. LOS ANGELES LAKERS — The acquisitions of point guard Steve Nash and center Dwight Howard give the Lakers four Hall of Famers in their starting lineup, plus Metta World Peace. The re-signing of forward/center Jordan Hill also was significant, plus the experience of Antawn Jamison.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Additions: PG Steve Nash; C Dwight Howard; F Antawn Jamison; G Chris Duhon; F Earl Clark; G Darius Johnson-Odom.
Subtractions: C Andrew Bynum; F Christian Eyenga; F Josh McRoberts; PG Ramon Sessions; F Matt Barnes; F/C Troy Murphy.
NBA Draft: C Robert Sacre.
2. OKC THUNDER — A steady building process continues as the Thunder did not re-sign any of its three 30-and-older unrestricted free agents while stealing capable forward Perry Jones III with the 28th overall pick in the NBA Draft and adding low-risk centers in Hasheem Thabeet and Daniel Orton.
Additions: C Hasheem Thabeet; F Hollis Thompson; C Daniel Orton.
Subtractions: G Derek Fisher; G Royal Ivey; C Nazr Mohammed.
NBA Draft: F Perry Jones III.
3. SAN ANTONIO SPURS — San Antonio kept the status quo by re-signing four players during the offseason in F/C Tim Duncan, F Boris Diaw, G Danny Green and PG Patty Mills. Six players competed in the Olympics, including free agent Nando de Colo, a combo guard from France.
Additions: G Nando de Colo.
Subtractions: G James Anderson.
NBA Draft: G Marcus Denmon.
4. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS — The Clippers tried to keep pace with their Staples Center co-tenants with the additions of Hall of Famer Grant Hill and shooting guard Jamal Crawford. The healthy return of injured point guard Chauncey Billups is vital.
Additions: F Grant Hill; G Jamal Crawford; C Ryan Hollins; C Ronny Turiaf; G Willie Green; F Lamar Odom.
Subtractions: F Kenyon Martin; F Bobby Simmons; G Randy Foye; G Nick Young; F Reggie Evans; G Mo Williams; F Ryan Gomes (amnesty).
NBA Draft: None.
5. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES — The Grizzlies got rid of their primary headache in O.J. Mayo, whose production declined each of his four seasons, and added point guard Jarryd Bayless as a backup. A healthy (and in shape) Zach Randolph remains the key component, however.
Additions: PG Jarryd Bayless; G Wayne Ellington; F D.J. Kennedy.
Subtractions: G O.J. Mayo; G Gilbert Arenas; F Dante Cunningham; G Jeremy Pargo.
NBA Draft: G Tony Wroten Jr.
6. DALLAS MAVERICKS — The 2011 NBA champions whiffed on attempts to acquire center Dwight Howard or point guard Deron Williams after doing some serious offseason reshuffling. They settled by acquiring three starters from other teams, plus a converted starter in O.J. Mayo.
Additions: F Elton Brand; C Chris Kaman; G O.J. Mayo; G Darren Collison.
Subtractions: PG Jason Kidd; G Jason Terry; F Lamar Odom; C Ian Mahinmi; G Kelenna Azubuike; C Brendan Haywood (amnesty).
NBA Draft: SG Jared Cunningham, C Bernard James, G Jae Crowder.
7. DENVER NUGGETS — One of the four teams involved in the deal that sent Dwight Howard from Orlando to the Lakers, Denver landed Olympian and All-Star Andre Iguodala, but to do so the Nuggets had to part ways with quality guard Arron Afflalo, plus Al Harrington and a draft pick.
Additions: G Andre Iguodala; F Anthony Randolph.
Subtractions: G Arron Afflalo; F Al Harrington; G Rudy Fernandez; F Chris Andersen (amnesty).
NBA Draft: G Evan Fournier; F Quincy Miller; F Izzet Turkyilmaz.
8. UTAH JAZZ — The Jazz looked at the Clippers to improve their roster, signing free agent guard Randy Foye and acquiring Mo Williams in a four-team trade on June 29. Williams returns to the team where he began his NBA career as a second-round pick in 2003.
Additions: G Randy Foye; G Mo Williams; F Marvin Williams.
Subtractions: F C.J. Miles; G Devin Harris; F Josh Howard; G Blake Ahearn.
NBA Draft: G Kevin Murphy.
ON THE BUBBLE
9. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES — When they have a healthy Ricky Rubio at point guard, the Timberwolves are a fringe playoff team with a revamped roster that now includes a solid mix of role players to accompany All-Star Kevin Love.
Additions: F Chase Budinger, F Dante Cunningham, G Jerome Dyson, F Andrei Kirilenko; G Brandon Roy; C Greg Stiemsma; G Alexey Shved.
Subtractions: F Michael Beasley; G Wayne Ellington; G Wesley Johnson; F Martell Webster; F Anthony Randolph; C Darko Milicic (amnesty).
NBA Draft: F Robbie Hummel.
10. HOUSTON ROCKETS — Much like their neighbors to the north in Dallas, the Rockets cleared house and whiffed on attempts to lure a franchise player in center Dwight Howard or power forward Pau Gasol and ended up with a slew of new faces.