NBA: With Dwight Howard trade. Lakers unseat Oklahoma City Thunder as odds-on favorites to win Western Conference
Dwight Howard's 2,515-mile move from Orlando to Los Angeles caused a seismic shift throughout the Western Conference. Tremors also were felt in Las Vegas.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
In obtaining Howard from the Magic in a four-team deal, the Lakers instantly became the odds-on favorites to unseat the Thunder as conference champions.
Before the sign-and-trade that brought point guard Steve Nash to LA from Phoenix in early July, the Lakers' odds of reaching next season's NBA Finals were 12 to 1, according to oddsmaker RJ Bell of Pregame.com.
With the acquisitions of Nash and Howard, the Lakers' odds have been lowered to 3 to 1, trailing only the defending champion Miami Heat at 2 to 1.
Since losing to the Heat in last season's NBA Finals, the Thunder's odds of reaching the Finals again have gone from 3 to 1 to 4 to 1.
"It is not even close," TNT analyst Chris Webber said, when asked to choose between the Lakers and Thunder as the 2012-13 Western Conference favorite. "I love the Lakers. When you look at Pau Gasol, individually he is a good player, but when you put Gasol with Dwight Howard, he (Gasol) becomes a great player. I have to give the Lakers — with experience — the advantage now."
Fellow analysts were in agreement.
"It's enough to win the world championship," Charles Barkley said. "He (Howard) can play power forward. He's athletic enough to play power forward and I think this just makes the Lakers the team to beat."
A breakdown of the four-team trade:
* The Lakers sent center Andrew Bynum to Philadelphia and forward Josh McRoberts, forward Christian Eyenga and a 2017 first-round draft pick to Orlando.
* Philadelphia sent forward Andre Iguodala to Denver and forward Moe Harkless, center Nikola Vucevic and an undisclosed first-round draft pick to Orlando.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims