Big 12 basketball rallied Sunday night. Iowa State and Baylor won NCAA Tournament games to reach the Sweet 16 to salvage a weekend in which the conference was on the verge of going splat.
The Big 12 is 6-5 in the tournament, which seems OK and frankly is ahead of some other power conferences. But it’s not what the Big 12 hoped for. Here are the league standings going to the Sweet 16:
1. SEC 7-0: What do you expect from a league that emphasizes basketball to the detriment of football?
2. American 5-2: I don’t know if it’s the last laugh, but the American — thanks to Memphis, UConn, Louisville — has trumped the Big East this year.
3. Big Ten 6-3: Three teams in the Sweet 16, and Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State might all win.
4. Pac-12 5-3: Even in defeat, the Pac-12 was strong. Oregon played great in a tough situation against Wisconsin. And Arizona State lost to Texas at the buzzer.
5. Big 12 6-5: Turns out, making the Big 12 Tournament finals doesn’t really harm your NCAA hopes.
6. ACC 6-5: Only Virginia is left.
7. Atlantic-10 3-5: Only Dayton is left, but the Flyers have been terrific. Beat Ohio State and Syracuse.
8. Big East 2-4: Jim Boeheim said it best. The Big East is dead. No teams in the Sweet 16.
* Mountain West 2-1: San Diego State is alive.
* West Coast 1-2: Uh, maybe it’s a good thing OSU didn’t beat Gonzaga, after what Arizona did to Gonzaga.