NCAA Tournament: Bracket breakdown — West Regional
Here is our evaluation of the West Regional of the men's NCAA Tournament:
Many will pick Ohio State but Gonzaga has a viable shot at making its first Final Four appearance. Critics claim the Bulldogs haven't played a demanding schedule. And Gonzaga hasn't advanced past the Sweet 16 since 1999. But 7-footer Kelly Olynyk (17.5 ppg) and 6-8 forward Elias Harris (14.9 ppg) are seasoned stars on coach Mark Few's best team. Ohio State has a star in junior F Deshaun Thomas (19.6 ppg). The Buckeyes, a tough matchup for most teams, often keep games in the 60s. Steve Alford's New Mexico Lobos (29-5) won the Mountain West, which produced five NCAA Tournament teams. The senior laden Lobos are capable of making a Final Four run.
Videoview all videos
Mar 17Oklahoma reacts to returning to the Big Dance for the...
Mar 17Oklahoma State is a No. 5 seed in the Midwest Regional....
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Belmont over Arizona: A popular pick on several brackets, Belmont is this year's trendy upset pick. The senior oriented Ohio Valley champions are led by senior guards Ian Clark (18.1 ppg) and G Kerron Johnson (13.7 ppg). The Bruins like to pick up the tempo (77.2 ppg), capable of posing perimeter issues for the Wildcats, who average 13 turnovers a game.
No. 13 seeds: Boise State vs. LaSalle: An entertaining matchup. Broncos are led by sophomore F Anthony Drmic (17.3 ppg). The Explorers have two players that average 15.0 or more points.
1 Gonzaga vs. 16 Southern: The Bulldogs no longer are a Cinderella mid-major. They should romp in the first round against the Jaguars, who are making their first appearance in seven years.
8 Pittsburgh vs. 9 Wichita St.: The Panthers (3-6 versus Top 25 teams) will be tested by the Shockers, who are capable but aren't nearly as talented as a year ago.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister