Nearly all of Oklahoma's election results are approved
Oklahoma's Election Board has voted to certify all federal and state Nov. 6 election results except for the state House District 45 race. A recount has been requested in that race.
NewsOK Related Articles
“We have an aging population of precinct officials and not many younger people stepping up to fill those positions,” Ziriax said. “Long term, that's an issue that we're going to be dealing with, and that impacts everything from the length of the line to the technology that you can use at the precinct level.”
Ziriax also told board members that the Americans Elect party no longer met the requirement of being a recognized political party in Oklahoma. Organizers earlier this year succeeded in getting enough signatures of registered voters to have the party recognized, but then national party officials failed to nominate a presidential and vice presidential candidate.
The Oklahoma Americans Elect Party tried to get the Libertarian Party's presidential and vice presidential candidates listed as their candidates on the Oklahoma ballot, but the state Supreme Court ruled in September that the state group never was authorized to act on behalf of the national party.
National party officials notified the state Election Board in August that it was withdrawing its ballot line on the Nov. 6 ballot and was terminating its status as a qualified party in Oklahoma.
Latest voter registration figures show 18 Oklahomans registered as Americans Elect. Ziriax said their registration will be transferred to independent after the board formally takes action on the matter, which could be Friday when it could meet to certify the House District 45 election.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates