New Mexico-Texas Tech football preview capsule
New Mexico (1-1) at Texas Tech (2-0), 6 p.m. CT (Fox College Sports)
Line: Texas Tech by 33
Series Record: Texas Tech leads 36-6-2
PLAYERS TO WATCH
New Mexico: Backup QB Cole Gautsche. The true freshman probably will start in place of B.R. Holcomb, who injured his ribs in last week's 45-0 loss at No. 14 Texas. Gautsche, who threw an interception and had no completions in four passing attempts when he replaced Holcomb in the second quarter last week, could share snaps with Quinton McCown, a junior college transfer from California.
Texas Tech: QB Seth Doege and the depth of his receiving corps. Doege threw for five touchdowns and 401 yards and completed 40 of 44 passes in last year's 59-13 win over the Lobos. He had five TDs last week as the Red Raiders beat Texas State 58-10. Tech is three-deep at all four wide-receiver positions. Red Raiders receivers have eight TDs and 726 yards on 66 catches in two games this season.
FACTS & FIGURES
Texas Tech's Doege needs 51 passing yards to reach 5,000 for his career. ... New Mexico ranks 13th nationally in rushing offense (276.5 yards per game). The Lobos have 553 rushing yards and five rushing TDs in two games. ... The Red Raiders have won 13 of the past 14 meetings between the schools, including the past three. UNM last beat Texas Tech 27-24 in 2004 when Wes Zunker hit a 43-yard field goal as time expired.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims