New Zealand beats New Caledonia in WCup qualifying
DUNEDIN, New Zealand (AP) — Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith scored in the fourth minute of stoppage time to give New Zealand a 2-1 win over New Caledonia on Friday and an overall victory in Oceania regional qualifying for the 2014 World Cup.
Smith's close-range header broke a 1-1 deadlock which had lasted from the 55th minute and gave New Zealand an unassailable lead at the top of the four-team qualifying group.
New Zealand will now play the fourth-placed team from the CONCACAF Confederation in home and away matches in November for a place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister