Newcomer C.J. Stretch helps Barons beat Texas Stars
Veteran defensemen Randy Jones and Clark were involved in OKC's first two goals.
Clark, who has played in 681 NHL games, scored his first Barons goal on a pass from Philippe Cornet to put OKC up 1-0. After the Stars tied it, Jones set up Tanner House for a 2-1 lead. Stretch scored an insurance goal.
“It was a huge goal,” Nelson said. “That's why we got him here. We wanted to get more secondary scoring. Besides that, I liked his defensive play. He looked very comfortable out there. He looked composed.”
Texas has been the AHL's hottest team and soared to the top of the Western Conference. It was only the Stars' second regulation loss in their last 15 games.
The Barons have been equally as hot at the Cox Center, extending their season-best home winning streak to five.
“To be honest I was quite worried about this game,” Nelson said. “Anytime you do a home-and-home (with Houston) like we did last weekend it usually takes two or three days to recover from it. I could tell the guys weren't as energetic as they can be.
“I'm very happy with the win. The guys gave me what they had. And Stretch scored the big goal. ”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates