News Summary: Amex paying $112.5M in settlements
AMEX PAYING REFUNDS, FINES: American Express is paying $112.5 million in refunds and fines to settle regulators' accusations that it charged illegal late fees and deceived customers to pressure them to pay off old debts or buy extra credit card services.
DECEPTIVE PRACTICES: Four federal agencies and Utah regulators reached settlements with the company. Among other things, the agencies said Amex used false statements to get customers to settle long-held debt.
COMPANY ACTIONS: Amex is refunding $85 million to about 250,000 customers and paying $27.5 million in civil fines. The company says it also has put together plans to correct the violations cited by the regulators.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims