News Summary: AT&T's 4Q earnings report, in brief
BIG LOSS: AT&T posted a fourth-quarter loss of $3.86 billion. In an annual routine, it reset expectations for its future retiree benefits costs, which leads to large swings in fourth-quarter results. Excluding the pension effect, results fell shy of Wall Street expectations.
WIRELESS GAINS: AT&T added 780,000 devices under contract to its network in the quarter. That was the best result in three years, but trailed Verizon.
THE OUTLOOK: AT&T confirmed Wall Street's earnings expectations for the year but said it expects to grow revenue by 2 percent, slightly better than forecast.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims