News Summary: Beans, metals fall on growth worries
ECONOMIC WOES: Prices for soybeans and industrial metals fell Thursday on reports that China's manufacturing sector continued to slow last month. A separate survey concluded that Europe appears headed for a deepening recession.
APPETITE SUPPRESSANT?: China, the world's second-largest economy, is a huge importer of raw materials such as industrial metals, oil and soybeans. Traders worry that the slowing manufacturing sector will hurt economic growth and, in turn, demand for commodities.
MIXED BAG: Prices rose for silver, gasoline and natural gas. Prices fell for gold, oil, corn and wheat.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say