News Summary: Cruises leave bitter merchants
ISLAND ISOLATION: Jamaica's port authority and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. pitched the port of Falmouth as a place where passengers would dive into the historic city for "a wraparound experience not unlike Colonial Williamsburg." But their dollars have been kept at a distance.
SHIPPING OUT: Tourists emerge from a towering, 16-deck megaship docked at the Caribbean's newest cruise port and then roar out of town on air-conditioned tour buses.
CRUISE COUNTERS: The cruise industry says ships steadily bring in huge amounts of tourists who otherwise might never come at all, so any money they do spend is a gain.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in