News Summary: Fishermen say new rules mean ruin
TIPPING THE SCALES: The New England Fishery Management Council has approved a 77 percent cut on the Gulf of Maine cod limit and 61 percent for Georges Bank cod. They follow a slew of other reductions on catches of other fish.
FLOUNDERING: Fishermen say now they're staring at industry collapse because they've been left with far too few fish for most boats to make a living.
TANGLED NET: NOAA's top federal fisheries regulator acknowledged the reductions will be devastating. But he said fish stocks are struggling and the industry's steady, excruciating decline must be reversed.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law