News Summary: Google 4Q earnings top Street's view
MONEYMAKING MACHINE: Google's fourth-quarter earnings edged up 7 percent to surpass analyst estimates even though the average price for the company's Internet search ads declined and its recently acquired Motorola Mobility operations suffered a big loss.
WHAT'S WORKING: The results announced Tuesday showed Google Inc. is attracting more advertising, extending the run of prosperity that the company has enjoyed since it went public in 2004. Google's fourth-quarter ad revenue rose 19 percent from the previous year.
PROBLEM AREAS: The average price for Google's search advertising fell 6 percent from the previous year and Motorola Mobility posted an operating loss of $353 million.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates