News Summary: HP hands off webOS to LG Electronics
UNRAVELING WEBOS: Hewlett-Packard Co. has sold webOS, a key piece of a $1.8 billion acquisition that has been largely forgotten since the company stopped using the software in smartphones and tablet computers in late 2011. HP bought Palm Inc. primarily because it thought webOS could help it compete in the mobile device market.
NEW HOME: South Korea's LG Electronics is buying webOS for an undisclosed sum. For starters, LG plans to embed webOS in a new line of Internet-connected televisions.
OTHER PIECES: The deal announced Monday also will transfer an unspecified number of webOS engineers to LG Electronics' payroll.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims